The First Basketball Games on the Forty Acres

Women played the first basketball games on the UT campus.

Starting in 1902, half-court scrimmages were held in the basement gymnasium of the Woman’s Building, the first residence hall for University coeds. The chief complaint among the players was running into the radiators along the wall, and Mrs. Neil Carothers, the head matron of the dorm, papered over the windows to prevent young men from potentially seeing the women in an unladylike position.

After 84 years, the 1986 University of Texas women’s basketball team, under Coach Jody Conradt, compiled a perfect 34-0 season record and earned a national title.

 

Tags: , , ,

 
 

No comments

Be the first one to leave a comment.

Post a Comment


 

 
Nov | Dec 2022
Congress Avenue Ventures
Wise Pies Pizza ad
 
 
Menu