Paris Chapter Golf Tournament Keeps A&M Rivalry Alive

paris

Many Texas Exes chapters have traditionally held joint events with nearby A&M alumni groups. Orange-and-maroon events aren’t just an opportunity for some friendly teasing—they also provide twice the manpower and fundraising ability. But now that UT and A&M play in separate athletic conferences, some of those events have died out.

Not so in Paris, Texas, where the Lone Star Showdown golf tournament is still going strong. On Oct. 27, the fifth-annual golf tournament—a partnership between the Texas Exes Paris Chapter and the Lamar County A&M Former Students Club—raised about $5,000 for scholarships to both colleges.

“In such a small town, we all know each other, and we look forward to the A&M game every year,” says Don Lewis, BBA ’81, Life Member, the tournament’s co-chair and a past chapter president. “Because we didn’t have the football game this year, the golf tournament was that much more important.”

About 48 players plus 30 friends and volunteers turned out to the Paris Golf & Country Club for the tournament. For the first time in the event’s five-year history, the Longhorns took home the trophy—and 60 percent of the proceeds (A&M got the other 40 percent).

“We like to be competitive,” Lewis says.

From left: Zach Snaffle (of the Lamar County A&M Former Students Club) and Don Lewis. Photo by Mary Helen Lewis, BS ’80, Life Member.

 

Tags: , , , , , , ,

 
 

No comments

Be the first one to leave a comment.

Post a Comment


 

 
January | February 2019
McCombs School of Business-Blockchain
LifeSpan
Antone’s Blues Brunch Banner Driskill_300x250
LBJ
 
 
Menu